We Offer A Helping Hand for Homeowners in Need.
Are you at risk of displacement due to unpaid housing-related obligations such as mortgage payments and property charges?
The Delaware Mortgage Relief Program may be able to help.
Who is eligible for the Delaware Mortgage Relief Program?
Homeowners may be eligible for assistance through the Delaware Mortgage Relief Program if they meet the following:
- The homeowner, borrower, or spouse must have experienced a pandemic-related financial hardship that occurred after January 21, 2020, such as lost income or increased expenses.
- Household income at or below 150% Area Median Income (AMI) or 100% of the median income for the United States, whichever is greater. Click here to find your AMI.
- Own and occupy their home in Delaware as their primary residence.
- Delinquent by at least thirty (30) days, including any payments during a forbearance period
How long is the process?
The process will take approximately 30-45 days from application submission to potential approval and payment.
What is Area Median Income (AMI)?
AMI is the midpoint income for a specific area. 50% of families in the area earn more than the median and 50% earn less than the median. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) sets different levels of AMI for areas across the country by household size. AMI is used to determine eligibility for affordable housing programs at the federal and local levels.
New Castle County
frequently asked questions
What can the relief funds
be used for?
Fresh Start Mortgage Grant Program – Designed to offer a one-time payment on behalf of a qualified homeowner to pay delinquent mortgage arrears and/or to facilitate a principal curtailment, rate reduction, modification, or another resolution to right-size future mortgage payments to levels affordable to the homeowner.
Emergency Displacement Diversion Grant – Designed to avoid imminent displacement due to, but not limited to:
- Tax delinquency, chattel loan, or land lease delinquency
- Eligible utilities are water and sewer only
- Homeowner’s association fee/condominium association fee delinquency
- Homeowner’s Insurance delinquency
The program currently does not cover expenses such as home repairs, and future mortgage payments.
How much assistance
can I apply for?
Fresh Start Mortgage Grant Program – Each Homeowner will be eligible for up to $30,000 to be used only for the homeowner’s primary residence
Emergency Displacement Diversion Grant – Each Homeowner will be eligible for up to $10,000 to be used for the homeowner’s primary residence